How the Study Works

Everyday Objects is a Bible study that uses visual association with objects we see in our daily life to memorize God's word. Very simply:
1. You see an object
2. A word comes to mind (any word, not just 'Spiritual' words), 3. Using a Bible Concordance, you find & study a verse in the Bible that has that word understanding the context & application to your life.
4. Everytime you see that object, you try to recall the verse or the Biblical application to your life.

The study uses things we see everyday to guide us into and remind us of God's Word.
Example:
When you see a coffee pot, you may think of the word morning or cup. You use a condordance to look up verses with the word morning or cup & study the verse--trust me, both those words are in the Bible. You pick one verse & do a study on that verse. Then, through the week, every time you see a coffee pot you try to remember the verse and application. Before you know it, you'll have the verse memorized! The more objects you do, the more verses you'll remember and the more of God's Word you'll be hiding in your heart & mind! It's that easy.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Week 5 - Lemonade/Water with Lemons

Word: Refreshing
Verse: Isaiah 28:12 - "to whom he said, 'This is the resting place, let the weary rest'; and, 'this is the place of refreshing' but they would not listen."
This was one of those verses where you think it is going to be 'comforting,' however, upon closer look, in context, it was really an admonishment to Judah. God brought a simple, clear message, but to those who rejected it, it seemed foreign. Matthew Henry's commentary put it best: The service of God is only true rest for those weary from service to sin. There is no refreshment but under the easy yoke of the Lord Jesus."
Personal Application: Do I over-complicate God's message of grace? Do I daily find refreshment in salvation from my sin?
While on a run, I got the following from Him:
The sour taste of our sin can be washed away by the saving water of salvation in Jesus and the sweetness of His grace.
The sour tang of temptation can be overcome with the sweet taste of surrender and a fresh washing in the water of the Holy Spirit.
The sour sting from hurts can be refreshed with the living water of Jesus and the sweetness of His love.
Blessings,
Eileen

4 comments:

  1. Word: Thirsty
    Verse: Psalm 107:9 (I thought of KWVE!) "For He has satisfied the thirsty (or parched) soul, and the hungry soul He has filled with what is good."

    This Psalm is post-exile, intended to be a reminder and praise of God's faithfulness and ability to meet our every need and to fill us with all things good! My commentary said that the trilogy of Psalms, 105-107 were intended to be read during religious festivals; for us, that would be at our holidays. I took that as a great challenge to read God's Word aloud at family gatherings in order to set our minds on His marvelous acts toward us! (And not just the traditional verses we select at particular holidays, but from these 3 Psalms, or wherever God directs me).

    Personal Application: I had to ask myself a very personal question. How long will I continue to doubt God's ability to deliver me out of physical bondage to my addictive food consumption? Do I fully trust that God is filling my hungry soul with what is truly good for me? Do I allow Him?

    I thanked God for reminding me over and over in the Word just how much He satisfies my deepest longings and my hungry soul, and I asked Him to FILL me with His Word. And to be satisfied with Him!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn wrote:
    The Lord has been bringing to my mind all this past week Proverbs 11:25, which I thought ties in perfectly with this week's lesson.

    "A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed." -Proverbs 11:25

    This verse has been an encouragement and comfort to me this past week and reminds me that the Lord is my strength where I am week. Even when I don't see how I'm going to do something, but I know the Lord wants me to do it, He always gives me the strength and the "how". I'm always amazed by how a God so big can love and care for someone as small as me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Word: Refresh
    Scripture: Jer 31:25
    "I have satisfied the weary soul, and I have replenished (refreshed) every sorrowful soul."

    Jeremiah spent 40 years warning his people to repent, but they did not.

    This particular verse though refers to the new covenant with Jesus Christ. With Christ we are refreshed in our very souls and hearts.

    See also JN4:14.
    Personally I need to not lose hope and to stay faithful as HE is faithful to His Word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My word was drink. Romans 14:27 states, "It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended, or is made weak. We must set an example by our conduct. I want to examine myself to see if I am stumblying anyone. I pray that my life would be clean and not offensive to anyone.

    ReplyDelete